|35 × 15 × 2.5 cm
Premium Coconut Peat / 1kg
Premium Coconut Peat Brick Compressed Gardening Soil Replacement Soil Substitute
Coconut coir, also known as coco peat, is derived from the fibrous material found between the hard inner shell and the outer husk of coconuts (Cocos nucifera). It is a popular growing medium and soil amendment in gardening. Here’s some general information about coconut coir:
- Production: Coconut coir is produced by processing coconut husks. The husks are soaked in water to soften them, and then the fibers are mechanically extracted. The extracted fibers are then screened and graded for different uses. The finer particles and dust obtained during this process are commonly referred to as coconut peat or coco peat.
- Physical Properties: Coconut peat has a fibrous and sponge-like texture. It retains water well, providing good moisture retention, while also allowing for adequate drainage. Coconut peat is lightweight, making it easy to handle and transport. It has a neutral pH level, typically around 5.5 to 6.5, which is suitable for a wide range of plants.
- Soil Amendment: Coconut peat is often used as a soil amendment to improve the quality of garden soil. It enhances soil structure by loosening heavy or compacted soil, improving aeration and drainage. Coconut peat also helps retain moisture in sandy soils, preventing excessive water drainage. It is rich in organic matter and adds beneficial nutrients to the soil.
- Growing Medium: Coconut peat is widely used as a growing medium in hydroponics, container gardening, and seed starting. It provides a sterile and weed-free environment for plants. Coconut peat retains moisture well, providing a suitable medium for root growth. It can be used alone or mixed with other components such as perlite or vermiculite to create a well-balanced growing medium.
- Sustainable and Renewable: Coconut peat is considered an environmentally friendly option as it is a byproduct of the coconut industry. Using coconut coir helps reduce waste and promotes sustainability. It is a renewable resource and can be used as an alternative to peat moss, which is often sourced from non-renewable peat bogs.
When using coconut peat, it is important to hydrate it before use, as it comes in a dehydrated or compressed form. Soaking it in water will allow it to expand and become more suitable for use as a growing medium or soil amendment.
Overall, coconut peat or coco peat is a versatile and beneficial product in gardening. It offers advantages such as improved soil structure, moisture retention, and sustainability, making it a popular choice among gardeners and horticulturists.
$7.50 $8.18 (Including GST)